Stress in the German Language
Are the phonetic symbols not displaying correctly? Do you want to copy the phonetic transcription to another program? Please read our FAQ!
If you have already started learning German, you know that the stress position is not always indicated in German dictionaries. Although there are general rules to determine the position of the stressed syllable, there are many German words that don't follow these rules. That means pronunciation of these words needs to be learned by heart.
This online tool automatically highlights stressed vowels in German words. It is designed to save you time – you will no longer need to look up the stress position in a dictionary.
This tool uses the same method to indicate the stressed vowel as in Duden dictionaries:
- A little dot under the letter – for short stressed vowels (for example: ụnter, Prozẹnt)
- A long line under the letter – for long stressed vowels and diphthongs (for example: Jahre, Auge)
Some German words with the same spelling can have different meanings depending on the placement of the stress. Compare:
- übersẹtzen (to translate),
- übersetzen (to ferry over, to cross over, to transmit).
These words are called homographs. After the conversion, these words will be highlighted in light green. If you hover your cursor over such word or tap it on your mobile device, you will see all the possible pronunciations.
Please note that this tool uses the new German spelling rules introduced with the German orthography reform in 1996. So, for example, the word "gewusst" will be converted, but the word "gewußt" will not.
Maximum text length (in characters):
- unregistered users – 50,
- free registration – 50,
- language package "frequent user" – 10,000,
- language package "polyglot" – 10,000.
Stress in German Words – Online Resources
- Phonetics and pronunciation glossary
- German dictionaries online – Project Modelino
- Standard German phonology – Wikipedia
- Duden dictionary online
Major updates related to this phonetic translator
Search for related blog posts