Frequently Asked Questions about this listening quiz
How to get access to all levels?
If you want to get access to all levels of this quiz, you may:
How many words are there in each level?
Each level has approximately 650 French words. All words were taken from our French Pronunciation Course.
All controls are in French! I don't understand them!
When you practice your French listening skills with this quiz, we want you to be fully immersed in French. English controls may distract you and hinder your progress. That is why we decided to keep all controls in French. Below you will find the English translations for all the options and the buttons you may see during the quiz:
- Quel son avez-vous entendu ? [kɛl sɔ̃n ave-vu ɑ̃tɑ̃dy ?] = What sound did you hear?
- Afficher la traduction [afiʃe la tʁadyksjɔ̃] = Show the translation
- Envoyer [ɑ̃vwaje] = Submit
- Suivant [sɥivɑ̃] = Next
- Afficher les résultats [afiʃe le ʁezylta] = Show the results
- Débuter un nouveau questionnaire ! [debyte ɛ̃ nuvo kwiz !] = Start a new quiz!
- Écouter [ekute] = Listen
- Lentement [lɑ̃tmɑ̃] = Slowly
- Vous avez répondu correctement à 9 questions sur 10 ! [vuz‿ave ʁepɔ̃dy kɔʁɛktəmɑ̃ a nœf kɛstjɔ̃ syʁ dis !] = You answered correctly on 9 questions out of 10!
There are so many sound pairs! Which one should I practice first?
All sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most popular – in the beginning, the less popular – at the end.
I want to practice the sounds [n]/[ɲ], but there are only three words with [ɲ] in my test!
The algorithm of the quiz chooses the same number of words for each sound from each pair. For example, if you practice the sounds [b]/[p] and choose 20 questions, the quiz will have ten words with the sound [b] and ten words with [p].
However there are exceptions to this rule. Some sounds, such as [ɲ], are pretty rare in French – there are only three words with this sound in the beginner's section. You may want to choose more advanced levels to practice such sounds.
By the way, all sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most popular – in the beginning, the less popular – at the end.
I want a new type of quiz!
We are open to new ideas. If you want a new type of quiz to be added, please contact us and describe in details what you want.