Phonetic transcription symbols are not displayed correctly in my browser!
First, make sure to use the latest version of your web browser. I highly recommend using Google Chrome. And please do NOT use Internet Explorer. It really is a bad browser! :)
Second, double-check that encoding of the page is set to Unicode (UTF-8).
Still not displaying correctly? On certain mobile devices and browsers, some symbols may still not look very nice or not be displayed at all. Please help us continue to improve! You can report these errors or even better – suggest a solution! ;)
I want to copy the phonetic transcription to another program!
Most of the phonetic translators on EasyPronunciation.com are 100% copy-paste friendly. If you want to copy the phonetic transcription to another program do the following:
On the page with the translator, click on the link Show advanced options (located below the submit button). Select one of the options that are optimized for copy-pasting the results:
- Transcription under each line of text
- Transcription under each paragraph of text
- Only transcription
After you submit your text, you may notice that words that can be pronounced differently depending on the context are color-coded:
- Light green (homographs)
- Light blue (pronunciation variants)
You can click on these words to choose your preferred transcription. Then you can select and copy the text.
I want to download the phonetic translator on my computer or mobile device!
The short answer – this isn't currently possible. If you want to know why and what you can do to change this situation, continue reading! :)
The first translator (for English) was released a long time ago – in 2010. Since then, the algorithm has evolved greatly. Just to give you an idea, the complete version of the English translator has about 2,000 lines of code, and the French translator has almost 4,000 lines of code (not including the dictionaries).
The translators are written in PHP (programming language designed for web development). To create a computer program or an app, all these thousands of code lines would need to be rewritten using another language (C or Java). I know a little Java, but it would still take me several months to create a clean and nice product just for one language.
Hiring somebody to do this work would cost a fortune - and I am not sure if people would buy such software. I also want to keep the online translators free.
So, how can you change this situation?
First, let me tell you that I love the idea of open-source software. PHP itself is open-source, and my site has a lot of free plugins. I think it is great when you can help other people make this world better. Eventually, I hope to release some parts of the code as an open-source software (which I already did for my Spanish and French translators). I also want to do this because... we are all mortal. I may get in a car accident tomorrow, and all the results of my hard work will be lost.
How can you speed up this process? I don't mean me getting in a car accident, but releasing the translators under a public license. Support the project! There are many ways that you can contribute:
- Post a link in your blog
- Share this site with your friends
- Help me translate the description of the translators in your native language!
If I see that people actively help, it reassures me that someone will continue my work, and I will continue releasing the code under a public license. This way, sooner or later you will be able to download and install a free IPA phonetic translator on your computer.
Why should I buy a subscription?
TL;DR: It cost me A LOT OF money to create this site.
In January 2017, a paid subscription was introduced on the site. At the same time, I reduced the limit for maximum text length for users who signed up for free. You may want to check this post where I explain why I made this decision.
You have probably already seen the different subscription options, but may still be unsure whether you should support the project. If you do buy the subscription, where does your money go?
- I pay people to help me translate the site in Spanish, German, Japanese, and Chinese (my writing skills in these languages are pretty weak). And it's a lot of text – the English version has almost 33,000 words!
- I hired people to help me proofread the phonetic transcriptions of rare English words, because I didn't have time to do it all myself. The database contains almost 100,000 words, so it was quite an investment (almost $2,500).
- The development of Pronunciation Player cost me a fortune - and I still pay my developer when I want to add new features to this software.
- The professional equipment (two cameras and a microphone) that I bought to record native speakers was very expensive. Currently, only the French and Russian phonetic translators have integrated audio and video recordings, but eventually I plan to make these for all the translators. Video editing is also a very time-consuming process – it took several months to create a fully functional pronunciation course for each language.
- Fast-working phonetic translators require a fast and powerful server - so web hosting is also part of my expenses.
- The first translator was created a long time ago – in 2010. Currently, I work on the website full-time and do my best to create high-quality products. I am also open to the new ideas. You are very welcome to suggest an update that will help you learn a foreign language. It is likely that some of your suggestions may be very easy to implement, while some may require more time.
For now, the only accepted payment method is PayPal. I understand that not everyone has a credit card. If you desperately need the advantages of the subscription plan "Frequent User", I may grant you this status for free. In exchange, I will ask you to contribute to the project. Please contact me for further details or check this post.
What updates can we expect in the future?
- American English pronunciation course
- Chinese Mandarin pronunciation course
- IPA phonetic translator for German
- Integration of Japanese-English dictionary in kanji to romaji converter