Practice Russian Listening Skills Online
Frequently Asked Questions about this listening test
Each level has approximately 1,000 Russian words. All words were taken from our Russian Pronunciation Trainer.
When you practice your Russian listening skills with this test, we want you to be fully immersed in Russian. English controls may distract you and hinder your progress. Therefore, all controls are displayed in Russian. The English translations for all the options and the buttons you may see during the test are shown below:
- Какой звук вы услышали? [kɐkˈoj zvˈuk vˈɨ ʊslˈɨʂəlʲɪ?] = Which sound did you hear?
- Показать перевод [pəkɐzˈatʲ pʲɪrʲɪvˈot] = Show the translation
- Отправить [ɐtprˈavʲɪtʲ] = Submit
- Следующий [slʲˈedʊjʉɕːɪj] = Next
- Показать результат [pəkɐzˈatʲ rʲɪzʊlʲtˈat] = Show the results
- Потренироваться с этими же словами еще раз! [pətrʲɪnʲɪrɐvˈat͡sə s‿ˈɛtʲɪmʲɪ ʐᵻ slɐvˈamʲɪ jɪɕːˈɵ rˈas!] = Practice the same words again!
- Начать новый тест! [nɐt͡ɕˈætʲ nˈovᵻj tˈɛst!] = Start a new test!
- Послушать [pɐslˈuʂətʲ] = Listen
- Посмотреть [pəsmɐtrʲˈetʲ] = Watch
- Медленно [mʲˈedlʲɪnːə] = Slowly
- Вы ответили правильно на 9 вопросов из 10! [vˈɨ ɐtvʲˈetʲɪlʲɪ prˈavʲɪlʲnə nə dʲˈevʲɪtʲ vɐprˈosəf ɪz‿ dʲɪsʲɪtʲˈi!] = You answered 9 questions out of 10 correctly!
All sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most common ones appear in the beginning and the least common ones appear at the end.
The test algorithm chooses the same number of words for each sound from each pair. For example, if you practice the sounds [b]/[p] and choose 20 questions, the test will have ten words with the sound [b] and ten words with [p].
However there are exceptions to this rule. Some sounds, such as [fʲ], are rare in Russian – there are only three words with this sound in the beginner's section. If you want to practice these types of sounds, you can choose more advanced levels.
By the way, all sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most common ones appear in the beginning and the least common ones appear at the end.