Frequently Asked Questions about this listening quiz
How can you access all levels?
If you want to access all levels of this quiz, you may:
How many words are there in each level?
Each level has approximately 1,000 Russian words. All words were taken from our Russian Pronunciation Course.
All controls are in Russian! I don't understand them!
When you practice your Russian listening skills with this quiz, we want you to be fully immersed in Russian. English controls may distract you and hinder your progress. Therefore, all controls are displayed in Russian. The English translations for all the options and the buttons you may see during the quiz are shown below:
- Какой звук вы услышали? [kɐkˈoj zvˈuk vˈɨ ʊslˈɨʂəlʲɪ?] = Which sound did you hear?
- Показать перевод [pəkɐzˈatʲ pʲɪrʲɪvˈot] = Show the translation
- Отправить [ɐtprˈavʲɪtʲ] = Submit
- Следующий [slʲˈedʊjʉɕːɪj] = Next
- Показать результат [pəkɐzˈatʲ rʲɪzʊlʲtˈat] = Show the results
- Начать новый тест! [nɐt͡ɕˈætʲ nˈovᵻj tˈɛst!] = Start a new quiz!
- Послушать [pɐslˈuʂətʲ] = Listen
- Медленно [mʲˈedlʲɪnːə] = Slowly
- Вы ответили правильно на 9 вопросов из 10! [vˈɨ ɐtvʲˈetʲɪlʲɪ prˈavʲɪlʲnə nə dʲˈevʲɪtʲ vɐprˈosəf ɪz‿ dʲɪsʲɪtʲˈi!] = You answered 9 questions out of 10 correctly!
There are so many sound pairs! Which one should I practice first?
All sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most common ones appear in the beginning and the least common ones appear at the end.
I want to practice the sounds [f]/[fʲ], but there are only three words with [fʲ] in my test!
The quiz algorithm chooses the same number of words for each sound from each pair. For example, if you practice the sounds [b]/[p] and choose 20 questions, the quiz will have ten words with the sound [b] and ten words with [p].
However there are exceptions to this rule. Some sounds, such as [fʲ], are rare in Russian – there are only three words with this sound in the beginner's section. If you want to practice these types of sounds, you can choose more advanced levels.
By the way, all sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most common ones appear in the beginning and the least common ones appear at the end.
I want a new type of quiz!
We love to hear feedback from our users! If you are interested in seeing a new type of quiz, please contact us and let us know in detail what you would like to see.