Frequently Asked Questions about this listening quiz
How to get access to all levels?
If you want to get access to all levels of this quiz, you may:
How many words are there in each level?
Each level has approximately 1,000 Russian words. All words were taken from our Russian Pronunciation Course.
All controls are in Russian! I don't understand them!
When you practice your Russian listening skills with this quiz, we want you to be fully immersed in Russian. English controls may distract you and hinder your progress. That is why we decided to keep all controls in Russian. Below you will find the English translations for all the options and the buttons you may see during the quiz:
- Какой звук вы услышали? [kɐkˈoj zvˈuk vˈɨ ʊslˈɨʂəlʲɪ?] = What sound did you hear?
- Показать перевод [pəkɐzˈatʲ pʲɪrʲɪvˈot] = Show the translation
- Отправить [ɐtprˈavʲɪtʲ] = Submit
- Следующий [slʲˈedʊjʉɕːɪj] = Next
- Показать результат [pəkɐzˈatʲ rʲɪzʊlʲtˈat] = Show the results
- Начать новый тест! [nɐt͡ɕˈætʲ nˈovᵻj tˈɛst!] = Start a new quiz!
- Послушать [pɐslˈuʂətʲ] = Listen
- Медленно [mʲˈedlʲɪnːə] = Slowly
- Вы ответили правильно на 9 вопросов из 10! [vˈɨ ɐtvʲˈetʲɪlʲɪ prˈavʲɪlʲnə nə dʲˈevʲɪtʲ vɐprˈosəf ɪz‿ dʲɪsʲɪtʲˈi!] = You answered correctly on 9 questions out of 10!
There are so many sound pairs! Which one should I practice first?
All sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most popular – in the beginning, the less popular – at the end.
I want to practice the sounds [f]/[fʲ], but there are only three words with [fʲ] in my test!
The algorithm of the quiz chooses the same number of words for each sound from each pair. For example, if you practice the sounds [b]/[p] and choose 20 questions, the quiz will have ten words with the sound [b] and ten words with [p].
However there are exceptions to this rule. Some sounds, such as [fʲ], are pretty rare in Russian – there are only three words with this sound in the beginner's section. You may want to choose more advanced levels to practice such sounds.
By the way, all sound pairs inside each category are sorted by their frequency: the most popular – in the beginning, the less popular – at the end.
I want a new type of quiz!
We are open to new ideas. If you want a new type of quiz to be added, please contact us and describe in details what you want.