Paste Chinese text here:
Phonetic Transcription of Chinese text (pinyin, Jyutping, IPA):
Submit Chinese text to see its phonetic transcription!
Create handwriting worksheet to practice hanzi:
Phonetic Transcription of Chinese Words
Chinese phonetics can be quite confusing for people who are starting to learn Chinese. The official system to transcribe Chinese characters into Latin script is hanyu pinyin, but some people find that it is not the best way to show how to pronounce Chinese words.
This online pinyin translator can convert Chinese text into seven different formats. With the exception of Jyutping, all of them follow the pronunciation rules of standard Mandarin Chinese. Note that some of the formats are available only if you click "Show advanced options".
- pinyin with tone marks (pīnyīn) – the most common way to transcribe Chinese characters,
- pinyin with tone numbers (pin1yin1),
- pinyin without tone marks (pinyin) – this method can be used for memorizing the tones,
- hanzi with tone marks (拼音) – this method will help you memorize the pronunciation of individual sounds,
- colored hanzi āáǎàa (拼音) – a variation of the previous method,
- International Phonetic Alpahbet (IPA) with tone numbers (pʰin1jin1) – if you learn Chinese in a university you may want to try this method,
- Jyutping (ping3jam1) – shows Cantonese pronunciation of your Chinese text.
This tool will serve you as a Chinese pronunciation guide and will save you a lot of time. You will no longer need to look up the pronunciation of Chinese words in a dictionary. If you use the phonetic transcription regularly in combination with Chinese audio and video recordings, you will be able to improve your pronunciation and listening skills in the Chinese language.
The converter understands both simplified and traditional characters.
A special option corrects tones for 一, 不. As you may know, the pronunciation of these two characters changes depending on the surrounding words.
Highlighting of high frequency Chinese words
Another option allows you to highlight high frequency Chinese words. For that, you can choose:
- vocabulary lists for Chinese Proficiency Test HSK,
- Subtlex – subtitle-based word frequency list,
- Google Pinyin word frequency list.
The words from different frequency intervals will be highlighted in the following colors:
The Chinese words required for the HSK exam will be highlighted as follows:
|HSK 1||HSK 2||HSK 3||HSK 4||HSK 5||HSK 6|
If you want to make the frequency analysis of your text and obtain the detailed statistics, please use Chinese word frequency counter.
Built-in Chinese-English dictionary
This pinyin translator has a built-in English dictionary with more than 113,000 Chinese words (based on Chinese-English dictionary CC-CEDICT). After you submit some text, click on any word to see its English translation. This function only works if you choose to display the transcription above each word (default option).
You can also create your own vocabulary list. For that, click on the words you don't know. After choosing all of them, click on the orange button "Create Vocabulary List". You will be asked to choose the translations. I suggest choosing one or two based on the context – you don't want to memorize 10 translations at the same time! After that you can export your vocabulary list into file (Word, Excel, PDF, HTML).
Chinese characters worksheet generator
This tool also allows you to create your own worksheet to practice writing Chinese characters. In order to do that, you will need to submit some Chinese text. After that you may choose your worksheet settings:
- how many times you want each character to be displayed,
- regular (kaishu) or running (xingshu) script,
- font size,
- grid style: no grid, cross-line or star-line.
Maximum allowed text length:
- for unregistered users – 700 characters,
- for registered users – 7,000 characters.
Check our Chinese pinyin subtitle converter and obtain something like this:
Chinese Phonetics and Pinyin – Online Resources
- Phonetics and pronunciation glossary
- Chinese Pinyin Subtitle Converter
- Chinese dictionaries online – Project Modelino
- Free Chinese-English dictionary CC-CEDICT
- Standard Mandarin Chinese – Wikipedia
- Hanyu pinyin – Wikipedia
- Chinese phonology – Wikipedia
- Simplified Chinese characters – Wikipedia
- Traditional Chinese characters – Wikipedia
- Chinese Proficiency Test HSK – Wikipedia
Updates related to this phonetic translator
Search for related blog posts
Do you like this translator? Post a link to this page!
HTML link code
<a href="http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter">Chinese Pinyin Translator Online (Pinyin Converter).</a>
Link code for phpBB forums
[url=http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter]Online Chinese Pinyin Translator[/url]
Link code for Wikipedia
* [http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter Online Chinese Pinyin Translator]—Free online tool to convert Chinese text to pinyin, Jyutping or IPA
Create Vocabulary List