Paste Chinese text here:
Phonetic Transcription of Chinese text (pinyin, Jyutping, IPA):
Submit Chinese text to see its phonetic transcription!
Create handwriting worksheet to practice hanzi:
Phonetic Transcription of Chinese Words
Chinese phonetics can be quite confusing for people who are starting to learn Chinese. The official system to transcribe Chinese characters into Latin script is hanyu pinyin, but some people find that it is not the best way to show how to pronounce Chinese words.
This free online converter allows you to convert Chinese text to either pinyin or phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols. This tool can also annotate Chinese words – add pinyin or IPA phonetic transcription to Chinese text. It will serve you as a Chinese pronunciation guide and will save you a lot of time. You will no longer need to look up the pronunciation of Chinese words in a dictionary. If you use the phonetic transcription regularly in combination with Chinese audio and video recordings, you will be able to improve your pronunciation and listening skills in the Chinese language.
The converter gives a transcription according to the pronunciation rules of standard Mandarin Chinese. The database contains more than 113,000 Chinese words and is based on free Chinese-English dictionary CC-CEDICT.
The converter understands simplified and traditional characters. You may convert your text into:
- pinyin with tone marks,
- pinyin with numbers,
- IPA phonetic symbols.
A special option corrects tones for 一, 不. As you may know, the pronunciation of these two characters changes depending on the surrounding words.
A special option allows you to highlight high frequency Chinese words. For that, you can choose:
- vocabulary lists for Chinese Proficiency Test HSK,
- Subtlex – subtitle-based word frequency list,
- Google Pinyin word frequency list.
The words from different frequency intervals will be highlighted in the following colors:
The Chinese words required for the HSK exam will be highlighted as follows:
|HSK 1||HSK 2||HSK 3||HSK 4||HSK 5||HSK 6|
If you want to make the frequency analysis of your text and obtain the detailed statistics, please use Chinese word frequency counter.
Maximum allowed text length:
- for unregistered users – 700 characters,
- for registered users – 7,000 characters.
Note: For the correct display of the phonetic transcription symbols, make sure that you use the latest version of your web browser and choose the right encoding for this page – Unicode (UTF-8). This converter is only available online and cannot be downloaded to your computer or mobile device.
Chinese Phonetics and Pinyin – Online Resources
- Phonetics and pronunciation glossary
- Chinese Pinyin Subtitle Converter
- Chinese dictionaries online – Project Modelino
- Free Chinese-English dictionary CC-CEDICT
- Standard Mandarin Chinese – Wikipedia
- Hanyu pinyin – Wikipedia
- Chinese phonology – Wikipedia
- Simplified Chinese characters – Wikipedia
- Traditional Chinese characters – Wikipedia
- Chinese Proficiency Test HSK – Wikipedia
Updates related to this phonetic converter
Do you like this converter? Post a link to this page!
HTML link code
<a href="http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter">Chinese Pinyin Converter Online. Phonetic Transcription.</a>
Link code for phpBB forums
[url=http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter]Online Chinese Pinyin Phonetic Transcription Converter[/url]
Link code for Wikipedia
* [http://easypronunciation.com/en/chinese-pinyin-phonetic-transcription-converter Online Chinese Pinyin Phonetic Transcription Converter]—Free Online Tool to convert Chinese Text to IPA Phonetic Transcription or Pinyin
Create Vocabulary List