Paste English text here:
Phonetic transcription of English text (IPA phonetic alphabet):
Submit English text to see its phonetic transcription!
Phonetic Transcription of English Words
English phonetics can be very confusing. As you know, there are no strict pronunciation rules in the English language, so if you see an unknown English word, you will not know how to pronounce it. The same English letter, or combination of letters, can be pronounced differently in different words. Moreover, the same English word can be pronounced in different ways by native English speakers from different countries, or even from the same country! That makes the English language hard to learn and understand. But we are not afraid of difficulties, are we?
This free online translator allows you to convert English text to phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols.
Homographs (words that are spelled the same, but have different meanings and are also pronounced differently) are highlighted in light green. If you hover your mouse over such word or tap it on your mobile device, you will see all the possible pronunciations. Often you will also see the part of speech for each word.
Pronunciation variants (when a word may be pronounced differently by different native speakers or when the pronunciation changes in a fast speech) are highlighted in light blue. You can also hover your mouse to see all possible variants.
To obtain the phonetic transcription you may choose one of four dictionaries:
- British English word transcription dictionary compiled from miscellaneous sources. It contains more than 110,000 words. The homographs (more than 1,000 words) and pronunciation variants (more than 4,000 words) are fully supported in this dictionary.
- CMU pronouncing dictionary (American English) contains more than 110,000 words. The homographs (more than 200 words) and pronunciation variants (more than 8,000) are also supported.
- Moby Pronunciator (American English) contains 117,000 words. The homographs (380 words) are supported, pronunciation variants – not. Be aware that word transcriptions for some proper nouns in this dictionary were generated automatically by a computer and were not human-proofread.
- American English word transcription dictionary compiled from miscellaneous sources contains more than 140,000 modified word forms. The support for homographs and pronunciation variants is coming soon.
This tool will serve you as an English pronunciation guide and save you a lot of time. You will no longer need to look up the pronunciation of a word in a dictionary. If you use the phonetic transcription regularly in combination with English audio and video recordings, you will be able to improve your pronunciation and listening skills in the English language.
Highlighting of high frequency English words
A special option allows you to highlight high frequency English words. For that, you can choose one of the two frequency lists:
- the frequency word list based on the Corpus of Contemporary American English,
- the subtitle-based frequency word list.
The words from different frequency intervals will be highlighted in the following colors:
If you want to make the frequency analysis of your text and obtain the detailed statistics, please use English word frequency counter.
Built-in English dictionary
This phonetic translator has a built-in English dictionary WordNet. After you submit your text, click on any word in the results to see its definition. This function only works if you choose to display the transcription above each word (default option).
You can also create your own vocabulary list. For that, click on the words you don't know. After choosing all of them, click on the orange button "Create Vocabulary List". You will be asked to choose the meaning and the transcription for every word you have selected. I suggest choosing one or two meanings based on the context. After that you can export your vocabulary list into file (Word, Excel, PDF, HTML).
Maximum allowed text length:
- for unregistered users – 700 characters,
- for registered users – 7,000 characters.
Check our English phonetic subtitle converter and obtain something like this:
English Phonetics – Online Resources
- Phonetics and pronunciation glossary
- English Phonetic Subtitle Converter
- English dictionaries online – Project Modelino
- English alphabet – Wikipedia
- English phonology – Wikipedia
- Standard American English (General American) – Wikipedia
- Standard British English (Received Pronunciation) – Wikipedia
Updates related to this phonetic translator
Search for related blog posts
Do you like this translator? Post a link to this page!
HTML link code
<a href="http://easypronunciation.com/en/english-phonetic-transcription-converter">Phonetic Transcription of English Words. IPA Translator.</a>
Link code for phpBB forums
[url=http://easypronunciation.com/en/english-phonetic-transcription-converter]Online English Phonetic Transcription Translator[/url]
Link code for Wikipedia
* [http://easypronunciation.com/en/english-phonetic-transcription-converter Online English Phonetic Transcription Translator]—Free Online Tool to convert English Text to IPA Phonetic Transcription
Create Vocabulary List